Have a bit more time to cook dinner tonight 🤔? Then make this delicious chicken 🍗 confit, with baby potatoes 🥔, and parsley 🌿 salad. Don’t worry about the longer cooking time though… its mostly unattended 👍🏽. The recipe does call for quite a bit of olive oil… but don’t worry… you can re-use it after for cooking or salad dressing 😬 (it will add extra flavour to any dish!)
2 chicken legs, thigh and drumstick together
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic
10 baby Yukon Gold potatoes or any “C”-size potato, red or yellow, halved
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, rinsed, dried and roughly chopped
1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons finely chopped Kalamata olives
1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- Make the chicken confit. Heat oven to 250. Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper, and place in a pan just large enough to fit them comfortably. Add oil, thyme and garlic, place on stovetop over medium heat and cook until the oil just begins to bubble.
- Transfer pan to oven, uncovered. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is easily pierced with a thin-bladed knife. (Adjust oven temperature up or down to make sure oil is just bubbling.) Allow to cool, then remove chicken from oil and place on a plate. Place in refrigerator until ready to cook. Strain oil, and reserve, covered, in the refrigerator. Chicken can be cooked a few days ahead of use.
- Make the potatoes. Wash the potatoes, cut them in half, and boil them until a fork can pierce through the potatoes easily. Drain the potatoes. Put a medium sized pan on low-medium heat and put in 2 tbspns of the reserved olive oil. Fry potatoes in olive oil until golden brown and crispy. Salt to taste.
- Finish the chicken confit. Put 3 tablespoons of the reserved oil into a pan set over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the chicken, and cook, turning once or twice, until both sides are nicely crisp and brown, approximately 7 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Make the parsley salad. Combine parsley leaves, shallots and olives in a medium-size bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of the reserved oil and the mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then toss the parsley and the dressing together. You can also place the parsley salad on top of more mixed greens (if you like)!
- To serve, place a chicken leg and half of the potatoes and parsley salad on each plate.