Who has lots of summer herbs in their planters or gardens right now? 🙋♀️🙋♂️ Us! Soo… we made this pasta with meatballs 🍝 and herb 🌿 sauce to utilize all the fresh produce! The recipe is easily adaptable and you can add whatever fresh herbs you have in your garden. Add a green salad and you have a meal in about 40 minutes 👍
- Boxed salad greens (we used arugula)
- Beets (roast them yourself or buy the pickled ones in a jar)
- Goat Cheese or Feta
- Seeds (we used pumpkin seeds)
- Salad dressing (2 tbpns of sherry/balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp of minced shallot, 6 tbspns of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste)
Pasta Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 cups of finely chopped basil
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 thin slice of white bread
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup ground sirloin, pork, or lamb
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tbspns of olive oil
- 1 pound of pasta (we used spaghetti)
- 6 gloves of garlic
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Lay down a bed of salad greens
- Cube your beets and toss on top of greens
- Sprinkle cheese and seeds liberally on top of your salad
- Whisk salad dressing ingredients together and add to your salad!
- Mix together the basil, parsley and chives. Soak the bread in the milk for 5 minutes, then gently squeeze any excess milk from the bread; discard the milk. Combine the bread with the meat, 1 cup of the herbs and some salt and pepper; shape the mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the meatballs in a single layer (work in batches if necessary). Cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water until tender but not mushy. While the pasta is cooking, purée 1½ cups of the herbs with 4 tablespoons oil, the garlic and some salt and pepper in a mini food processor or blender; leave the sauce rough or add a little water if you want it smoother. Drain the pasta, reserving about a cup of its cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with the herb sauce and most of the remaining herbs, adding the reserved liquid if the mixture seems dry. Top with the meatballs, garnish with Parmesan and the last of the herbs and serve.