We are craving sushi 🍣 today! So we were inspired by @jeanwang to make these sushi cones 😋 We had artificial crab 🦀 meat, canned salmon 🐟, avocado, and cucumber on hand… so that’s what we used!
For the Sushi Rice
For the Filling
For the Wrapper
Cook the sushi rice (rice cooker)
- Put rice in a bowl. Rinse the rice and discard the water. Repeat this process 3-4 times until the water runs clear;
- Add the 1 and 1/3 cup of water to the rice (note - follow the water ratio instructions on the rice package if they are different from this ratio)
- Let the rice soak in the water for 30 minutes (if you have the time). Otherwise, pop in the rice cooker and hit cook;
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Slightly warm the solution in the microwave
- Pour the sushi vinegar over the warm rice (when done)
Assemble the Cones
- Cut one square sheet of nori in half to make a rectangle and place on a flat surface
- Spread a strip of rice in a thin layer on the nori using moist hands or a rice scooper at a 45-degree angle on one half of the nori sheet. Make sure to keep the bottom corner on the rice side free for rolling later.
- Add ingredients on top of the rice. This is where you can get to be creative. Mix and match ingredients to your liking, but make sure not to place too much as it will make it difficult to roll.
- Finish the toppings with a strip of mayo and black or white sesame seeds to taste.
- Roll the cone by starting with the bottom corner on the rice side and connecting it with the top middle of the sheet. Continue rolling while keeping one end at a point.
- Eat Immediately